Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Happy Miracle On Ice Day!

USA Hockey Miracle on Ice
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

36 years ago today, one of if not the greatest upset in hockey took place in the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I dont know about the rest of you, but that clip does not get old.

That guy who was famous in Winnipeg that one time.

#2 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

College Player

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

Never gets old.
As I recall the game was in the afternoon and I heard the score on the radio driving home from work, they replayed the game that night on TV.
  • Giles Ferrell likes this

#3 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

Never gets old.
As I recall the game was in the afternoon and I heard the score on the radio driving home from work, they replayed the game that night on TV.

ABC wanted the game to be moved to 8 PM Eastern time so they could have it live on National TV. The Soviets rejected the request so they played the game at 5 and ABC re-aired it at 8. Lousy communists.

That guy who was famous in Winnipeg that one time.

#4 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

ABC wanted the game to be moved to 8 PM Eastern time so they could have it live on National TV. The Soviets rejected the request so they played the game at 5 and ABC re-aired it at 8. Lousy communists.

Agreed, but if the start time had changed, who knows, maybe the outcome would have too?

There's an amazing Jim McKay, longtime ABC Sports guy, documentary that HBO made several years ago.  He has some great quotes about the 1980 Olympics, and that very situation, as he was the studio host. 

I distinctly remember playing floor hockey in the hallway of Mom & Dad's house with my brother, as the game was being played live, listening to it on the radio.  Knowing the outcome didn't take away one iota of anything from watching it later that night.

The entire "Miracle on Ice'- and not just the win over the Soviets, but the whole story of that team-is the greatest sports story of our generation.  It's legend has grown over time as most legends do, but this story can never be duplicated because of the so many different changing landscapes.  Never again.

Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: USA Hockey, Miracle on Ice