Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Notre Dame Leaving Hockey East For Big Ten

NCAA Hockey Big Ten Hockey East Notre Dame
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

Relatively big news in College Hockey today, as USCHO.com reports that Notre Dame is leaving Hockey East after 2016-17 to join the Big Ten in 2017-18.

Notre Dame is preparing to leave Hockey East for the Big Ten in the 2017-18 season, sources told USCHO on Tuesday.

The school joined Hockey East three seasons ago in the massive conference realignment for western schools.

That coincided with the formation of the Big Ten, which has been at six teams but is poised to add a seventh.

This is welcome news for the Big Ten, especially after this past weekend...

That guy who was famous in Winnipeg that one time.

#2 NickinNY

NickinNY

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

I'm glad that's good for the Big Ten.  Seems you either love Notre Dame or you hate them.  I hate them.  The whole "God wants us to win" thing is just appalling to me.  

• Monkeypaws and Minniman like this

Wild blogger since 2007

@nickinnewyork

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

College Player

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

I'm glad that's good for the Big Ten.  Seems you either love Notre Dame or you hate them.  I hate them.  The whole "God wants us to win" thing is just appalling to me.

I wonder how many TV sets God has in his man cave to keep track of all the games going on?
  • NickinNY and Minniman like this

#4 rghrbek

rghrbek

College Player

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

I also wonder if God will like watching hockey at werid times, and on weird nights, or not at all,because the BIG treats hockey no better than wrestling on the network...

I am indifferent.It's a good name to add to the BIG, but how is that going to help attendance?It's not.There are no built in rivalries there.

Even if they pick up ASU, as the 8th team, the BIG Hockey league has been a blunder and will continue to be a blunder for the foreseable future. 

#5 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationThe State of Hockey

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

That is laughable. Does God bet on sports?

The Big Ten is an easier conference right now.

I wonder why Notre Dame can join while not being an official conference team in other sports. Being Big Ten exclusive was the whole point of Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving the WCHA.

rghrbek said:

Even if they pick up ASU, as the 8th team, the BIG Hockey league has been a blunder and will continue to be a blunder for the foreseable future.

Why pick up ASU? That is as bad as the Alaska teams for travel.

#6 rghrbek

rghrbek

College Player

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

That is laughable. Does God bet on sports?

The Big Ten is an easier conference right now.

I wonder why Notre Dame can join while not being an official conference team in other sports. Being Big Ten exclusive was the whole point of Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving the WCHA.

Why pick up ASU? That is as bad as the Alaska teams for travel.

That's the rumor and it's close to a lock.Larger school name, desirable destination.... all the real things that are important...

Whomever is making the decisions for the big ten, does not understand hockey, geography and their rivalries

#7 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

College Player

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

I wonder what will happen with the Notre Dame NBCSN contract? That could be interesting. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NCAA Hockey, Big Ten, Hockey East, Notre Dame