Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Wild signs Eric Staal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

College Player

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Per TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/wi...n-deal-1.519169

Hard to believe he is "only" 31 as he seems to have been around forever.

I would have preferred Backes or Nielsen (depending on the cost/length, of course) 

Is he an upgrade at Center?  

"Who own da Chiefs" - Denis Lemieux

#2 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

Backes went for 5/30, Staal went for 3/10.5, it's hard to compare the two TBH.

I think it's a damn good signing, he can still put the puck in the net and instantly upgrades our center line. Most importantly this allows Granlund and Coyle to stick on the wings, where both are better IMO.

Koivu-Staal-Haula is a nice start for the C depth.

Overall, while Okoposo or Backes would have been nice, their contracts would have been too hefty.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

College Player

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

Backes got 5 yrs @ 6m nice player but a little old and a lot of hard miles on him for 5 more years, imo.

Wild signed Chris Stewart for 2 years @ 1.15m. Not bad money they can use a little toughness.

#4 Everyday Eddy

Everyday Eddy

Prep School

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

If we can sign Cullen to a 1 year similar deal as Stewart today was a huge success

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

College Player

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

Alright, so what does our forward depth look like after these signings?

C - Koivu, Staal, Haula, Graovac

LW - Parise-Zucker-Nino-Granlund

RW - Coyle, Pominville, Stewart

That's not bad, we spent 5M and added size and depth.  I'd say that's a good start.

This team still needs to consider trading a d-man.

#6 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Alright, so what does our forward depth look like after these signings?

C - Koivu, Staal, Haula, Graovac

LW - Parise-Zucker-Nino-Granlund

RW - Coyle, Pominville, Stewart

That's not bad, we spent 5M and added size and depth.  I'd say that's a good start.

This team still needs to consider trading a d-man.

They should trade a D man and Keumper to someone and get back a good young RW if possible.
Scandella would be my first choice.

I'd prefer to hold onto Dumba and Spurgeon, the two guys that can put the puck in the net.

#7 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

Also one of the reasons to trade a D man now, is that it's almost a certainty that the Wild would lose one in the expansion draft anyways.

• Doubles likes this

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

College Player

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

I'd much prefer to move Brodin.

• Doubles likes this

#9 Everyday Eddy

Everyday Eddy

Prep School

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

I'd definitely move Brodin first.  He just doesn't seem to have an offensive side and doesn't bring any physicality.  Also he's got a name that gets other teams excited for whatever reason so he could probably net more than Scandella.  When Scandella is on he is better than Suter in my opinion

• TheLeviathan and Minniman like this

#10 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:38 PM

Brodin doesn't bring anything offensively, but he is quite good defensively. I think he is the one the Wild would least like to part with, I wouldn't mind it though to be honest, he could bring us a nice player or package back.

According to Russo the line Staal will be on will be: Parise-Staal-Coyle. That could be a pretty sexy line. Granlund would be LW on the Koivu line, Pominville could fit nicely into that one. Then you have Nino-Haula-Stewart/Zucker for the 3rd line. Not bad.

However if you could get a young RW, you could move down to the Nino-Haula line, which may be his best fit anyways.

#11 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationThe State of Hockey

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

Eric Staal has often played above the players on his lines in Carolina and New York. He is a puck control two way player. He is a veteran center that may help some of the younger Wild players.

He is no longer a superstar, and he will not be paid like a superstar.

Looking at the splits, Staal has not played well against the Western Conference in the past few seasons, especially at the X, but that may be due to playing on a poor club as much as his diminished skill set. His defensive game has suffered, and there will be no excuses in Minnesota and no quarter from the teams in the Central.

One cool fact is that Eric Staal's hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario is less than 50 miles to Minnesota, and the venue in St. Paul is about 100 miles closer to the next closest NHL venue in Winnipeg.

#12 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

This really puts the other Wild contracts in perspective.

Staal is the same age as Suter and Parise, and Eric is two years younger than both Koivu and Pominville.

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

College Player

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Brodin doesn't bring anything offensively, but he is quite good defensively. I think he is the one the Wild would least like to part with, I wouldn't mind it though to be honest, he could bring us a nice player or package back.

According to Russo the line Staal will be on will be: Parise-Staal-Coyle. That could be a pretty sexy line. Granlund would be LW on the Koivu line, Pominville could fit nicely into that one. Then you have Nino-Haula-Stewart/Zucker for the 3rd line. Not bad.

However if you could get a young RW, you could move down to the Nino-Haula line, which may be his best fit anyways.

Brodin's defense had a lot of early hype, but he wasn't that good last year.  Plus, giving up Scandella also means you give up arguably your most physical defenseman.

#14 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

College Player

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

I am hopeful he can still play up to the level of this contract.

He is a legit NHL center, so there is that. 

At least the Wild kept away for the loony 5-7 year deals this time.

#15 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Here is an edit from a pre-draft article about Eric Staal:

Eric Staal says he's still got what it takes

Pierre LeBrun, ESPN Senior Writer

If this were two years ago, after Eric Staal was coming off another season leading the Carolina Hurricanes in scoring, there would be big buzz about the center heading to unrestricted free agency. As it stands, he's not listed an anyone's top-10 UFA rankings, not even top 15 on most lists.

Sure, he's 31, and more than ever the NHL is a young man's game, but I think the idea that he's done as a good player is a little extreme.

"I think, from what I witnessed as a teammate, and I watched as an outsider now the last few years, whatever team gets Eric Staal will get a motivated, focused, character-laden leader," former teammate Aaron Ward said Wednesday. "The guy still has it in him. When the chips are on the table, he's a guy that shows up and doesn't back down. I honestly think he was a victim of circumstance."

One Eastern Conference GM, says Staal is a good buy-low candidate. "It'll be a worthwhile investment," said the GM. "Great team guy. He knows the game. He's got to go to a team where he goes to the right spot. He doesn't have to be the top guy, but still one of the guys that's a difference maker.

Staal knows he's headed somewhere on a bargain price compared to the money he's used to making. That's OK. This is about proving himself all over again and he sounds up to it. Staal said over the phone, "It's been challenging the last two years, for different reasons. But nonetheless, I'm here now. It's an opportunity. It's something that I'm excited about."

Full Story @ ESPN.go.com

• Monkeypaws likes this

#16 NickinNY

NickinNY

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

I'm hoping we won't have to start complaining about Staal's contract until his second season with the Wild.  Fletch usually gets one good season from his veteran UFA signings, right?

Wild blogger since 2007

@nickinnewyork

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

College Player

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

I'm hoping we won't have to start complaining about Staal's contract until his second season with the Wild.  Fletch usually gets one good season from his veteran UFA signings, right?

Wingers, yes.

Centers? Cullen was our last big signing, and had he been showered in glory since.

#18 imemilyalice

imemilyalice

Prep School

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

Good to know about it.

#19 KathrineEnoksen

KathrineEnoksen

Prep School

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

thats good

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

College Player

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Okay, this is the best FA contract since Rolston, similar money, but Staal's is in 2016 dollars.

Leading the team in all offensive categories, good on draws, good on and off the puck.

The Wild won the lottery getting this guy for 3 years at theis price.

Stewie has been another fine signing.

• DaveW likes this