Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Wild signs Eric Staal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Backes went for 5/30, Staal went for 3/10.5, it's hard to compare the two TBH.

I think it's a damn good signing, he can still put the puck in the net and instantly upgrades our center line. Most importantly this allows Granlund and Coyle to stick on the wings, where both are better IMO.

Koivu-Staal-Haula is a nice start for the C depth.

Overall, while Okoposo or Backes would have been nice, their contracts would have been too hefty.

Boom!

• Doubles and Monkeypaws like this

#22 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

Okay, this is the best FA contract since Rolston, similar money, but Staal's is in 2016 dollars.

Leading the team in all offensive categories, good on draws, good on and off the puck.

The Wild won the lottery getting this guy for 3 years at theis price.

Stewie has been another fine signing.

100%

I still maintain they should look at trading a Dman for a "pure scorer"

#23 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

I still wouldn't mind seeing them move a defenseman for scoring either, Dave.  This current streak isn't going to last forever, but it may be enough to make the GM hesitate to change up the mix in the short-term here. 

Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog

#24 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

I still wouldn't mind seeing them move a defenseman for scoring either, Dave.  This current streak isn't going to last forever, but it may be enough to make the GM hesitate to change up the mix in the short-term here. 

Yeah I mean there is no immediate rush, the team is playing great hockey right now, so don't touch it, but if they start losing some 1-0, 2-1 games...I think they need to look to pull the trigger.

In the meantime it sure would be nice if a couple of the: Nino, Granlund, Pom, Zucker, types could step up and put more pucks in nets.

#25 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Your guy Staal making an impact again tonight- drawing the penalty shot...
Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog

#26 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationThe State of Hockey

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Yeah I mean there is no immediate rush, the team is playing great hockey right now, so don't touch it, but if they start losing some 1-0, 2-1 games...I think they need to look to pull the trigger.

In the meantime it sure would be nice if a couple of the: Nino, Granlund, Pom, Zucker, types could step up and put more pucks in nets.

Yeah, but Nino and Zucker have really good advanced stats right now. They play good both ways.

That is much better than a guy who scores a goal and gives up two while he's on the ice.

Granlund is a mystery.