Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Wild signs Chris Stewart

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

2 years/2.3 mil total

At that price tag it's not hard to like the move. A solid depth RW for us and brings some needed grit.

#2 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

Low risk, but I'm not a Stewart guy.  At least not a long term involved.  As the cliche' goes, "No such thing as a bad one-year contract."  This is the next best thing.

• puckstopper1 likes this
Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog

#3 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationThe State of Hockey

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Stewart played well for the Ducks, so this makes sense.

#4 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

College Player

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

Stewart played well for the Ducks, so this makes sense.

Minniman - Stewart had 8 goals and 20 points in 56 games for the Ducks last season. He also had 73 penalty minutes.  I'm not sure that qualifies for a "played well" statement.

Like others have said, he does add depth and a bit of toughness. But I'm not overly enthusiastic about this as I'm still bias the Wild give up a 2nd round pick for him two seasons ago and got very little from him in return. I'm hoping he will be better this time around.

"Who own da Chiefs" - Denis Lemieux

#5 Minniman

Minniman

Hockey HoF

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationThe State of Hockey

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

Minniman - Stewart had 8 goals and 20 points in 56 games for the Ducks last season. He also had 73 penalty minutes.  I'm not sure that qualifies for a "played well" statement.

Chris Stewart:

1.55 points/60 (4th in Anaheim)

53.7 GF% (tied for 4th in Anaheim, 3rd for forwards)

+ 5.1 GF% Relative to Team Mates (5th Anaheim, 4th for forwards)

51.3 CF% (12th Anaheim, 9th for forwards)

- 0.9 CF% Relative to Team Mates (11th, 8th for forwards)

Stewart scored 1.55 points per 60 minutes, which was fourth best on the team. He had a positive GF% and a positive CF% on a puck control team. He played 56 games with 8 goals and 12 assists for 20 points. He was +2 and added 5 power play points for a +7 total offensive value.

I wouldn't say that Stewart was outstanding, but he did play well in Anaheim with almost all positive marks. I do hope the Wild limit his use as an enforcer. I like tough play, but fights are often a bad way to try to get positive results.

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

College Player

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

I like this signing, a lot. Stewie is a great guy to have on your side, and seems very popular amongst the teammates. Compared to depth signings of the past, Mitchell, Nystrom, Cooke, Stewart is head and shoulders above them on the ice, and is paid next to nothing cap-wise. He has really come alive with Graovac and Gabriel.

Did I mention I love this signing?

#7 tharasix

tharasix

College Player

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:56 PM

I was less thrilled with this before they called up Gabriel. Once Stewart didn't need to be the one tough guy, his game significantly improved.

#8 DaveW

DaveW

NHL

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, Stewart has been a fantastic signing, (as has Staal, obviously!)

I really, really like that 4th line. They have grit, but can put the puck in the net as well.

What a fun team to watch these days.

#9 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

I'm still not a big 'Stewy' guy, but he's been playing well the last couple of weeks, no doubt about that.  

What puzzles me about this is he's a guy that I watch play well and say to myself, "Self, Stewy's playing really well right now.  Why can't he do that all the time?"

Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog