Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Wild.

Subscribe to Wild Xtra Email

Recent Blogs

Don Lucia signs extension with Gophers

Gophers Don Lucia
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

The University of Minnesota announced today that men's hockey head coach Don Lucia has agreed to a two year contract extension, that will run through the 2018-19 season. The 2018-19 season, will be his 20th with the maroon & gold.

The 2016-17 season stands as Lucia’s 18th at the University of Minnesota and 30th overall season as a Division I head coach. A native of Grand Rapids, Minn., Lucia holds the Gophers record for coaching victories at 415 (415-219-68, .640) while his 694 career wins rank eighth all-time in NCAA history regardless of division (694-374-97, .638). A four-time conference coach of the year and the 1994 Spencer Penrose National Coach of the Year, Lucia led the Maroon & Gold to back-to-back national championships in 2002 and 2003.

Thoughts on the extension?

That guy who was famous in Winnipeg that one time.

#2 bergera

bergera

College Player

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

I still go back and forth on the Don.

There was a period where not retaining top prospects definitely hurt the program. But is that fully on the coach?

I want to say the its come out that some of the previous teams didn't gel and I’m sure some of that is bringing in guys that are use to always starting and playing on the top lines. But the coach and/or the programs reputation should be able to deal with that. IE someone being 'ok' with a 3rd line role knowing that it is for the betterment of the team and a championship.

My question is if you want The Don gone, who replaces him? I like Guentzel and he's probably the forerunner but I'd be interested to see what Grant Potulny could do. Or look outside the alum but that's crazy,right?

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

College Player

• Administrators
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

My question is if you want The Don gone, who replaces him? I like Guentzel and he's probably the forerunner but I'd be interested to see what Grant Potulny could do. Or look outside the alum but that's crazy,right?

Well, the thing about having one of the most storied college hockey programs is that you should be able to attract ... just about anyone you want, right? I mean, aren't the Gophers to college hockey kind of like Notre Dame or Alabama or Texas is to college football? Shouldn't any highly respected up and coming coach be more than willing to answer the phone?

#4 bergera

bergera

College Player

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

I agree that should be the case. But does the program have the same lustre it had before?

I don't like pinning things on the move the big ten, but if anything it has given more conferences to keep track of. With the old WCHA, I could naively judge college hockey by only looking at the power houses there and whining about how easy the east coast program schedules were. I believe iron sharpens iron and the move to a week big ten hurts things. Hopefully that changes.

But the above is more of a complaint on the program and not the coaching.

I just have a gut feeling that his time has come. But any sort of stats I can come up with I can also refute.

So yeah...I got nothing.

• Doubles and Yoke like this

#5 rghrbek

rghrbek

College Player

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

The Don's time, to me, has come and gone. He has had elite talent over the last decade plus, since his two Naty's. He's missed the tourney 4 times in that span.  

I think it's time for some new energy, new blood. That means going outside of the current assistants. I think this contract extension was mostly window dressing, for recruiting. I would love to know what his buyout is...

Even if the gophers win another meaningless BIG title again, but miss the NCAA, he's got to be gone right?

• Doubles likes this

#6 bergera

bergera

College Player

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Even if the gophers win another meaningless BIG title again, but miss the NCAA, he's got to be gone right?

I've got to think so. But this governing body has done or not done a lot of things that make me scratch my head

• Doubles likes this

#7 Doubles

Doubles

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul
  • Twitter: _2244

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

I have a pretty good source that tells me The Don is not well liked by the alumni.  Tough to make much of a of a go of things without alumni support fully on board.

Twitter:

@_2244Hyperlink Example

Hitting The Post Blog

#8 NickinNY

NickinNY

Hockey HoF

• Administrators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Of all the issues at the U athletics department, Lucia's behavior is not one of them.  For that alone I'd think they would be interested in keeping him on.  2- years says "Thanks for not embarrassing us.  But also, your leash is finite."

Wild blogger since 2007

@nickinnewyork

#9 bergera

bergera

College Player

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

Does any one see them extending him again after this? Yes he hasn't embarrassed the college and he's brought in some conference trophies but nothing past that.

I remember a Don coached team may start of slow but would peak at the right time and put on a good showing in the tourney.I don't feel like we've seen that the last couple of seasons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gophers, Don Lucia